The Imperial Gate PDF Print E-mail
The Imperial Gate allows entrance to the city form the west along Via Mezzaterra. Once called the Cormeda Gate, tradition has it that its current name was earned ‘Imperial’ because it was through that gate that the Emperors, from Federico II to Charles IV, passed when visiting the city. From 1876, it has also been called the Castaldi Gate, in honour of the Feltrino Panfilo Castaldi, one of the first Italian printers. Built in 1489, under the podestà Girolamo Cappello, it was rebuilt in a classical form in 1545, losing all defensive value.
 
Powered by 42bit