Baptistery PDF Print E-mail
Rounding the apse of the Cathedral and going along the stepped rise, there appears a simple and elegant building with a graceful profile featuring the wide Sixteenth-Century portico bound by a light balustrade: it is the Baptistery. The late Fourteenth-Century building, once the church of Saint Lorenzo and then of the Our Lady of the Rosary, faces south with a wide Sixteenth-Century portico and balustrade. To the east, the antique entrance is preserved, a stone portal decorated “with branches” (Fifteenth Century). Inside, a monolithic baptismal font from 1399 can be seen with a wooden cover mounted with an ornamental sculpture of Saint John the Baptist. In the underground level, a Paleo-Christian Apse and the remains of a structure from the Roman period (ipocausti) are both visible.
Powered by 42bit