Alboino’s Castle PDF Print E-mail
Positioned on the summit of the Colle delle Capre (the hill of the goats), the castle dominates the Main Square (the Piazza Maggiore) beneath it with its bulk and represents the emblem of the city. Tradition has named it “Alboino’s” because of the way Feltre was more than once destroyed by barbarians only to be built again. Archaeological investigations, however, date the keep to the Eleventh Century. The castle, having a defensive function, was provided with four angular towers, only one of which, called “el Campanon” (the Big Tower) by the Feltrini, has survived. A huge lion of Saint Mark graced its walls. The current Clock Tower was once the ancient entrance. The external decoration was carried out by Lorenzo Luzzo in 1518. Also the inner walls include frescoes from the Sixteenth Century.
 
Powered by 42bit