Palazzo de' Mezzan PDF Print E-mail

Built by Nicolò de Mezzan (Feltre 1458-1544), an extremely rich merchant and leading figure of the aristocratic citizenry, who resided there from 1523, this compound stands along Via Paradiso, opposite the old Bishop’s palace. In the years and centuries following its construction, the building has been enlarged and transformed many times. In 1990 restoration work of the west wing led to an extraordinary discovery. On the facade there are pictures of Lombard origin. The pictorial apparatus covers the interior walls. In the hallway of the entrance, four angular pillars seem to hold an entablature in imitation marble divided by leonine busts and by the coats of arms of the rectors of Feltre from 1513 to 1522. Between the northern windows a large two-headed eagle with the quartered coat of arms of Foscari Pisani appears. The high wainscoting displays a decoration dating to 1571 and attributed to Pietro de Marascalchi who painted an arcade supported by atlantes. In the adjacent chamber, to the north, we find a retelling, with a knightly theme, of the legend of  Saint Eustachio. To the east, now faded, the figure of Hercules covered by the Nemean lion and, to the south, Arion with the lyre being saved by the dolphin sent by Apollo, can be seen. On the northern wall of the upper storey knights and the wild man was depicted. To the South Lorenzo Luzzo paints the Venus Anadyomene on a background taken from the famous engraving the Judgement of Paris by Marcantonio Raimondi. To the same artist, we owe pictorial fragments which show the Sacrifice of  Iphigenia and the fight between Heracles and River God Achelous. Finally, in the alcove room edifying holy themes are on display, which include the Creation, the Visitation and Adoration of the Magi, the latter an authentic masterpiece by del Luzzo.



Powered by 42bit